This bike trip is contemplative-level. Describing the Danube is like collecting superlatives. The second longest river in Europe, it flows through 10 countries before emptying into the Black Sea some 3,000 km away. The Danube is one of Europe’s main waterways and is known for the beauty of its banks and the role it has played in history.
This trip allows you to cruise the Danube on a luxury ship but also explore its most beautiful stretches by bike. You’ll see four border countries (Germany, Austria, Slovakia, and Hungary) and four gorgeous cities (Passau, Vienna, Bratislava, and Budapest). And in between, a journey through the peaceful countryside against a backdrop of vineyards and mountains, from the Bavarian Alps to the younger Carpathians. History buffs and nature lovers, this trip is for you. It is divided into four stages following a continuous thread: the refinement of Europe from the Middle Ages to the present day, and its penchant for art, from the Baroque to the Neo-Gothic, including the Renaissance and Art Nouveau styles.
The bike route is very easy-going, even for beginner cyclists because the terrain is almost completely flat and poses no technical difficulties. You’ll have direct VIP access to local sites and people along the way. At night, you can relax in splendid comfort onboard the cruise ship, where you’ll want for nothing. Delicious food, the finest vintages, and pleasant company—it’s all right there. Throw in a few waltzes, and your head will be spinning.
- Airfare from Montreal to Prague and from Munich to Montreal
- 7 nights in a comfort cabin on the main deck with private bathroom onboard a very comfortable river boat
- Port boarding fees
- All meals during the cruise (excluding drinks)
- All ground transfers during the trip
- Bike rental and insurance
- Services of a FADOQ guide and a local French-speaking guide
- One roadmap per cabin setting out the bike routes and major sites of interest along the way
- 2 nights in a 3-star hotel in Prague with breakfast before boarding the boat
- 4 ferry rides while cycling
- A personalized FADOQ cycling jersey (only for reservations before February 28, 2020)
- A travel diary
- A city bus tour of Budapest & city bike tour of Vienna
- Wine tasting in the Wachau region
- Financial coverage from the Compensation Fund for Customers of Travel Agents. Free of charge from January 1, 2020
Price does not include:
- Applicable charges for transporting your bike if you decide to bring your own
- All personal expenses, including drinks
- Tips for guides and cruise staff
- Airport taxes (if applicable)
- Travel insurance
- Optional excursions (to be booked onboard only), from 17 to 42 euros per excursion
- Upgrade to a cabin on the middle deck (an additional $295 per person, cabin with window that can be opened) or on the upper deck (supplement of $425 per person, cabin with window that can be opened, offering a nicer view, and closer to the boat’s amenities such as the sun deck)
Note: It’s important to respect your limits and abilities. We also strongly recommend seeing a doctor before engaging in any high-intensity physical activity.
By participating in this activity, you authorize FADOQ, région Saguenay—Lac-Saint-Jean—Ungava to use photos and videos of the trip.Full details Registration form