Our winters can be very hard! During extreme cold snaps, special attention must be paid to health risks, treatments and ways to protect yourself.
Seniors are particularly vulnerable to frostbite and hypothermia, as are people who work outdoors, infants and winter sports enthusiasts.
Here are some tips on how to protect yourself:
- Wear appropriate clothing;
- Don’t stay outside too long;
- Stay active;
- Limit vigorous physical exertion;
- Avoid getting your clothes wet;
- Do not drink alcohol.
For more information:
- It’s Your Health on the Government of Canada’s website – Extreme Cold
- Preventing the Harmful Effects of Cold Temperatures on the Government of Quebec website